Monday, October 17, 2011

Arrested for Being Peaceful

I’m a sucker for a good title and when I came across this one I had to stop and read it and watch the video that was posted with it, “Youcan’t be a protester and a customer at BofA.”  A few protesters in Santa Cruz, California decided to close their accounts at Bank of America.  They enter the bank holding signs that say “I am closing my BOA account today,” the manager comes up to them and says that they cannot be a customer and a protester at the same time.  The manager then locks the doors and threatens to call the police.  A similar scenario happened at a Citibank in New York where a woman was outside of a bank wanting to close her account and they called the police to arrest her for being disruptive.  If you watch the video of her arrest the woman did not appear to be disruptive at all.  I was not aware that this movement, Occupy the Boardroom, was even going on until I read this article.  I think that by writing this article Nicole Belle was trying to capture the attention of those who don’t know what has been going on in the cooperate world.  The author of this post is one of many liberals who support this movement.  She has had a continuous blog on the crooks and liars website since 2006.  Belle believes that the banks had no right to refuse the protesters the right to close their accounts.  I have to agree with her on this subject.  I have never heard of a law that prohibits a person to close their account or agreement with a bank just because they choose to protest it.  The protesters who went to Bank of America did not seem to disturb the peace at all except for the sign they took in with them, I do not think that the police should have been called just because of a couple of peaceful protester wanting to close their accounts.  The banks should find a different way to keep their customers instead of refusing to close their accounts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment